Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Day In The Life



A few days ago a student escorted a new girl into my third period class. I asked her if she was just switching classes at Key or if she was new to the school. She just knitted her eyebrows together and said "no English." I looked at her schedule and all of her other classes were ESOL classes so I figured this was just a mistake. I got the rest of the class working on the test they were taking that day and called my counselor to tell her about the mistake and found a worksheet for the the new Korean girl so she wasn't just sitting there. As soon as everything was all settled down the fire bell rings and as my class is filing out the door a kid comes up to me to tell me that his nose is bleeding. So I tell him to grab the tissue box and I grab the new girl and tell her to stay right by me because I have no idea if she knows what to do or not. As soon as my class is lined up outside and I have taken roll I send the kid with the nosebleed with another student to find the school nurse. It was a rather eventful first ten minutes of class. Later that day I found out that this Korean girl had been moved out of her ESOL math class because she was doing so well. There are 4 other Asian kids in that class, but when I asked if any of them spoke Korean, I found out that they were Vietnamese, Chinese and something else, I don't remember what. So much for finding a translator for this poor girl.

We are still very busy but still find time to have a little fun. I was baking bread last Sunday and we got into a little bit of a flour fight. Here are the results.

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

Haha, the flour-fighting ninjas. It doesn't look like it turned out to be much of a mess to clean up - if it were one of us and andrew it would've turned out a lot worse. :)